- Product info
- About the artwork
- About the artist
- Delivery & Returns
Found only in peninsula Malaysia, Singapore and a smattering of towns in Southern Thailand, the Peranakan or Straits Chinese Shophouse is a truly unique architectural style. A marriage of Chinese, Malay and Victorian colonial influences it is often brash and ostentatious but usually refined and elegant.
In the years before property developers erected glass, steel and concrete tower blocks and then made them liveable in the tropics by hermetically-sealing them, installing tinted windows and banks of air-conditioners, the Peranakan shophouse is a marvel of environmental sustainability and human ingenuity. Exaggerated eaves cast long shadows; ventilation ducts above windows allow rooms to breath; large windows are designed to be left open and wooden louvered shutters provide shade, breeze and protection from monsoon downpours. Inside, rooms are well-proportioned with high ceilings and solid cold stone floors. The outer walls are double thickness with a central damp course to allow air to circulate. In high winds, the walls sing.
In the 1970s and 80s, city blocks of these architectural gems went under the wrecking ball to make way for towers of modernity. Those many that still remain, huddle in pockets but stand as mute witness to almost two centuries of turbulent history.
For over three years and covering hundreds of kilometres of Singapore's backstreets, alleys and way-off-the-beaten-paths of tourist traps, Singapore Heritage Collection chronicles the beauty, charm and uniqueness of this tiny island nation. It is an on-going, evolutionary project to capture the essence of the historic architecture that is unique to Singapore and Peninsula Malaysia.
Limited edition of 20, signed on the back with a certificate of provenance.
Originally from England, I am a freelance urban photographer who works out of Singapore. My images strive to capture the wonderful diversity of the architectural landscape of this island nation, from soaring modern architecture that so defines the future, to weathered shophouses and peeling sun-drenched back alleys that form such a rich cultural heritage. Apart from architecture, my great interest is street photography, recording the diverse tapestry of Asian life.
On my journey, my lens reveals a charm and beauty of Singapore off the beaten track and often previously unrecorded.
Formerly a language and literature teacher, I took up a camera in 2016 and embarked on a journey to capture some of the poetry and narrative of an Asia I have lived and worked in for 30 years. I turned pro in June 2018. On the way, I have been rewarded and recognised for my work:
• Nominated four times for daily dozen, two Editor's Picks and published four times in National Geographic
• Winner of four awards for Top Photograph on GuruShots and reached "Guru Level" on the same website
• Selected Editor's Choice four times on 500px for Street, Abstract and City and Architecture categories
• Featured on Picfair blogs:
Picfairs' top 10 image uploads of the week: 16th March 2018
Creative Trends of 2018 at Picfair: "Abstract in the Everyday Environment": 16th February 2018
"Chinese New Year Celebrations around the World"; 5th January 2108
In November 2018, my work was featured in "Scoot" in-flight magazine, Singapore Airlines
- All products are sent to you directly from the Artist 'Sellers'. It is their responsibility to ensure the artwork is delivered in good condition and as stated in the description.
- Under Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 gives credit card users protection in the event they suffer from a breach of contract or misrepresentation when buying goods. Section 75 offers protection for items or services valued from £100 to £30,000, of which at least part of the purchase (such as a deposit) was made with a credit card.
- All 'Sellers' are expected to deliver goods within 10 days within the UK for 'available work'. Please allow upto 15 days for International deliveries. If it is for a 'commissioned' piece of art, then the time frame for delivery will be agreed between the 'seller' and the 'buyer'.
- It is as the discretion of the 'seller' if they wish to send goods 'Tracked', or for Saturday delivery, or Internationally.
- If there is any issue in delivering the goods within the 10 day time frame, for normal available goods, you will be notified of the updated delivery date. The same applies for 'commissioned' artwork.
- For information regarding your delivery please contact the 'seller' directly or alternatively, contact us for assistance on +44 (0)207 101 5070