- Product info
- About the artwork
- About the artist
- Delivery & Returns
*This painting was selected for the Columbia Threadneedle Prize 2018 exhibition, London, UK, 31st Jan -19th Feb 2018
This painting is part of a body of work inspired by visits to Blackford Pond, a local nature reserve in Edinburgh, last winter. On one day the pond was still partly frozen over, but was starting to melt in the morning sun. Some of the ducks were sitting on the ice, while others swam in the melted areas. The atmosphere was very still and peaceful and the light was clear and fresh.
In my work I am interested in the ways people experience and connect with the natural word, in our modern age, especially children like my own who are growing up in the city. I wonder how important the environment is going to become in all our lives, and in the lives of those who come after us.
The painting is professionally framed in an antique white (hand painted) wooden tray frame, with the edges of the canvas showing (Ready to Hang).
I am an emerging contemporary painter based in Edinburgh, Scotland. In my art practice I am inspired by everyday life - a large part of my working process is hunting for new ideas in the visual world around me e.g. walking in the woods in summer, watching reflections on a pond in spring, spotting wildlife, seeing my children growing and engaging with the world, exploring unfamiliar places (sometimes old photographs) evidencing past lives, or other ways of living.
In these things I sense the inevitable passing of time and the spirit of being alive, and it's this I try to capture in my work. I record my ideas in sketches, photographs or plein air paintings, from which I often then develop larger works in the studio. I enjoy using the physicality and expressiveness of the materials - usually ink, acrylic paint or watercolour - to attempt to describe in visual language those strange or beautiful moments which always seem to elude capture in the written word.
My paintings often focus on nature and the way people connect with the natural environment in our modern world, especially those of us living in cities and towns. I wonder how important the environment will become for all of us, and how it may affect our future lives.
I am inspired by contemporary figurative artists such as Peter Doig, Marlene Dumas and Chantalle Joffe, but also by the Scottish tradition of painting including artists such as William Gillies and the Scottish Colourists, especially Cadell for his bold use of colour.
I originally studied physics at University and worked as a patent attorney for over ten years before deciding to focus on my lifelong interest in making art. I completed a BA degree in Combined Studies (Art & Design) at Edinburgh College of Art, Scotland, in 2016 and am now a practising artist based in Edinburgh.
- All products are sent to you directly from the Artist 'Sellers'. It is their responsibility to ensure the artwork is delivered in good condition and as stated in the description.
- Under Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 gives credit card users protection in the event they suffer from a breach of contract or misrepresentation when buying goods. Section 75 offers protection for items or services valued from £100 to £30,000, of which at least part of the purchase (such as a deposit) was made with a credit card.
- All 'Sellers' are expected to deliver goods within 10 days within the UK for 'available work'. Please allow upto 15 days for International deliveries. If it is for a 'commissioned' piece of art, then the time frame for delivery will be agreed between the 'seller' and the 'buyer'.
- It is as the discretion of the 'seller' if they wish to send goods 'Tracked', or for Saturday delivery, or Internationally.
- If there is any issue in delivering the goods within the 10 day time frame, for normal available goods, you will be notified of the updated delivery date. The same applies for 'commissioned' artwork.
- For information regarding your delivery please contact the 'seller' directly or alternatively, contact us for assistance on +44 (0)207 101 5070