- Product info
- About the artwork
- About the artist
- Delivery & Returns
Original oil painting on block canvas by James Shipton.
My works are heavily influenced by the art work of Degas and Gustav Klimt.
Maternitatem is looking at the impact of modern motherhood and its demands on women. The snake wraps around the canvas, representing the serpent from Adam and Eve. A female figure represents sexuality and temptation. Figures in the background hold pearls of wisdom, that mothers pass on to their offspring, whilst representing Isis the Mother Goddess. Along the bottom are pregnant figures holding the flower of virginity, and new life. On the right a women struggles. This represents the changes in life that a new child brings, the pressures to be a perfect mother, whilst also having the expectations to have a successful career. Finally in the centre of the painting are three sisters representing the joy of motherhood, the support from friends and loved ones, and harmony.
My desire is to capture the beauty of the female human form, whilst portraying human isolation (loneliness). I achieve this through a process of capturing reality through life drawing using charcoal sketches, and then to breakdown of the human female form, I use the sketches to build and create textured paintings in oils.
Certificate of authenticity included.
Category Oil painting
Subject Nudes, motherhood and life
Materials Oil paint
Dimensions 150 x 120 x 3.7 cm (unframed) / 150 x 120 cm (actual image size)
Framing This artwork is sold unframed
I studied art and then went on to study medical science. My passion for art was re-ignited whilst studying the human anatomy. As a result I have followed my passion and produced oil paintings that utilise my knowledge of the human form. My passion led me to a new career in art. My art work has been purchased by clients in the UK and Worldwide, and has led to numerous commissions. More recently I have had the honour of producing art for Michael Keaton's new movie "American Assassin". I believe that true art is not about excess. It is about essential values, built in layers of texture and light. If you strive to create beauty, only do what is necessary and no more. My works are heavily influenced by the art work of Degas and Gustav Klimt (Impressionism and Art nouveau). My overall desire is to capture the beauty of the female human form, whilst portraying human isolation. I achieve this through a process of capturing reality through life drawing using charcoal sketches, breaking it down to deliver an impression of the human form, whilst capturing the psychological complexity of the human nature through the portrayal of human isolation.
Following the breakdown of the human female nude, I use the sketches to build and create paintings in oils.
- All products are sent to you directly from the Artist 'Sellers'. It is their responsibility to ensure the artwork is delivered in good condition and as stated in the description.
- Under Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 gives credit card users protection in the event they suffer from a breach of contract or misrepresentation when buying goods. Section 75 offers protection for items or services valued from £100 to £30,000, of which at least part of the purchase (such as a deposit) was made with a credit card.
- All 'Sellers' are expected to deliver goods within 10 days within the UK for 'available work'. Please allow upto 15 days for International deliveries. If it is for a 'commissioned' piece of art, then the time frame for delivery will be agreed between the 'seller' and the 'buyer'.
- It is as the discretion of the 'seller' if they wish to send goods 'Tracked', or for Saturday delivery, or Internationally.
- If there is any issue in delivering the goods within the 10 day time frame, for normal available goods, you will be notified of the updated delivery date. The same applies for 'commissioned' artwork.
- For information regarding your delivery please contact the 'seller' directly or alternatively, contact us for assistance on +44 (0)207 101 5070